TONA T20/40 Moving-Coil Step-Up Transformer SUT
The TONA T20/40 step-up transformer (SUT) is targeted enthusiasts and intended for moving-coil type cartridges.These traditionally provide a very low signal, and are difficult to amplify without noise.
The transformer is a match for tube amplifiers, as the very high gain at 1:40 can be an advantage at low volume, and can also be used with a (tube) MM RIAA with a good dynamic range at high levels.
At the same time, 1:20 with a more all-round 26dB gain instead of 31dB, is usable for most cartridges with low output.
Tona T 20/40 has two separate inputs with separate windings on the primary side.
• Two inputs 1:20 and 1:40
• Specify balanced (XLR) or ubalanced/balanced (RCA) when ordering
• Including solid mahogany case, that can be placed on the wall
• Laminated soft iron case with 8 to 20 mm overall thickness
• Wideband toroidal nanocrystalline transformers wound inhouse
• Primary resistance 0.1 Ω (1:40)
• Secondary resistance 25 Ω (1:40)
• The transformers are induction matched in stereo pairs before winding
• Low noise and wide frequency spectrum (5Hz-100kHz -3dB at 4Ω/20KΩ).
• Phase linearity 0.9 degree at 20kHz
• Matched in stereo 0.3 dB 20Hz-20kHz
• Litz primary winding
• Connectors : Rhodium plated RCA connectors, gold plated XLR connectors
• Non vibration dampening material floats the transformers
• Stable heavy base accepts all XLR and RCA cables
• Demagnitized before shipping
• CE and ROHS approved
• 2 years warranty
• Hand made in Aarhus, Denmark
Dimensions 125 x 150 x 46 mm 4.9″ x 5.9″ x 1.8″
Total height: 63 mm 2.48″
Weight: 4.1 Kg 9 lbs
Delivery time 2-3 weeks.
Suggested retail price 3.500 USD / 3.000 EUR
Examples of ratios available with a 47KΩ MM phonostage:
|The transformer input impedance||Turns Ratio 1:||Max possible gain in dB|
Frequency 4Ω/20KΩ (-60DBFS +13dBu)
-3dB: 5Hz – 100kHz
Phase deviation 20Khz: 0.9 grader
Channel separation: 120dB
Stereo balance: 0.3dB (20Hz-20kHz)
(click for larger picture)